Masticating juicers use a slower action than regular high speed (centrifugal) juicer machines. Masticating juicers are ideal for wheat grass or any sort of leafy green vegetables such as kale and even herbs such as parsley and basil.
Masticating juicer machines use a system of slowly revolving augers or gears to physically crush the liquid out of fruits or vegetables. This process is what lends the juicer its name: Masticating is the scientific term for chewing. But why bother with a masticating juicer in the first place? They are often slower and more expensive than normal juicer machines.
Here is what a masticating juicer offers:
1. With a masticating juicer you can process any kind of hard, even quite dry vegetables. Many centrifugal juicers simply won’t extract any juice from things like root vegetables. The powerful and slow crushing action of a single or twin gear juicer like the Angel Juicer (one of the best masticating juicers available) means you will get every last drop of juice. The evidence is in the pulp – next time you make juice with a centrifugal juicer examine the left over pulp. You will find it is very wet, often even dripping juice. When you look at the pulp from a masticating juicer you will find it is dry and compact. If you want a good carrot juicer, one of these healthy juicer machines is the answer.
2. You can expect higher quality living juice. The high speed processing which food undergoes in a regular juicer machine is detrimental to the vitamins and living enzymes content that make fresh juice so healthy to begin with. In a high speed juicer machine, a stainless steel blade spins at several thousand revolutions per minute (RPM) to shred up ingredients. Two things occur, firstly the friction from the shredding generates heat, and secondly the juice becomes frothy from air being mixed in. Vitamin compounds and enzyme bodies are very sensitive, and will become denatured through heat. They are also destroyed (or oxidised, in scientific terms) through contact with oxygen from air. A masticating juicer only operates at speeds of between 60 and 160 RPM, meaning that little if any heat is ever generated and that no air is mixed into the liquid. Juice made with masticating juicers has been scientifically proven to contain significantly higher levels of nutrients, enzymes, and vitamins.
3. Masticating juicers provide quiet operation, due to the low auger speed. Many centrifugal power juicer machines sound like a plane trying to take off! Most juicer reviews mention the quiet and smooth operation of masticating juicer extractors as a strong positive.
4. If you are planning to go on a juice detox diet, using wheat grass juice, then a masticating type of machine is the best juicer to buy. Most people will buy a separate wheat grass juicer, but with a good stainless steel juicer such as an Angel Juicer or Greenstar Juicer you have got it all covered.
5. You are not just limited to using it as a fruit and vegetable juicer – a masticating juicer can be used to grind other foods too, such as beans, peanuts and seeds. Many electric and manual juicers are able to make delicious spreads out of peanuts, cashews, almonds and virtually any other combination of nuts and seeds. If you check out juicer reviews you will find that people are successfully using the Angel Juicer and other masticating electric juicers to make cold pressed seed oil from linseed and flax seed.
Compare this to the capability of a regular juicer extractor and it’s pretty clear which one wins the juicer comparison. If you already have a masticating juicer (you might know it as a twin gear juicer or a green juicer) then maybe it is time to put it to good use – search online for the model you have, and some juicer recipes for your machine to find out what it can really do. You might be pleasantly surprised to find that the machine you have only ever used as an orange juicer can in fact do a whole lot more.
As a final note for anyone who feels that they cannot justify the extra expense of a good masticating juicer over common discount juicers, consider that you will probably get a lot more life out of the more expensive juicer machine. The Angel Juicer and Greenstar machines in fact use many professional juicer parts, that you would expect to find on commercial juicers. You will get what you pay for, and a good masticating juicer such as the Angel Juicer may carry a 10 year warranty. This is not to mention of course that you will be making the best tasting and healthiest juice you have ever had!